Thursday, April 8, 2010

Another Fantastic Day - April 7, 2010








Wednesday found Tate and I back up to Targhee, gotta get the most out of these season passes ya know. A bluebird day for sure, and as we found a place to park I was puzzled at the amount of cars pulling into the parking lot....'till I remembered that JHMR closed the previous weekend.

Still, no lift lines, plenty of deep powder, sometimes even too much. Incredible.

There were two firsts for me yesterday.

Number 1. Some air. Yes, this fat boy actually found some, and I was able to land one. Big smile on Tate's face to see his old man silhouetted against the sky.

Number 2. The more serious of the two. I went in headfirst and on my back into a treewell. Not a big one mind you, but still....it took me at least 20 minutes to free myself. I can now understand and appreciate the danger these "holes" present.

I had a hard time breathing, felt like I might suffocate for a minute. I was able to clear the snow from my face and after a minute I calmed down enough to assess my situation. I could not move while strapped in my snowboard, and had to make like a contortionist in order to get to one binding. Nearly suffocating myself again, I was able to get my right foot out.

After much wiggling about, I was able to right myself and slowly push my way to the downhill side of the tree, and after what seemed like an eternity I was finally able to make it to the surface.

Tate was trying to crawl back up to me to help, but he would have been faster had he gone to the bottom, rode the lift back up and then down to me. I did have a 20 ft piece of rope in my pack had he been able to get in position to drag me out.

Wow...

Still had a great day despite the near "drowning"....just one of those things...

Targhee - 4/7/10

Targhee - 4/7/10

Targhee - 4/7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!